Sunday, July 24, 2011

Another Paleo blog, seriously??

Well, yes. This one, you see, is from Alaska, and if there's anything we know about in Alaska, it's eating good, wholesome food straight from the land...

Actually, that's a lie. We're just like anywhere else. We eat crap, and plenty of it. And we have the waistlines to show for it. Our kids are overweight and obese (those are two different things, and the only reason I know that is my job. More on that later) in record numbers. My fellow adult Alaskans have been packing on the pounds in recent years, too. More to the point, we - like the rest of the U.S., like the rest of the world... except, apparently, France - are overweight AND unhealthy. Fat and sick. Lovely.

That's where the fun ends. Because while I like to nosh as much as anybody, I do not like rheumatoid arthritis. And that's what I've got. One nasty surgery later to repair tendons severed by the sharp edges of a bone eroded by this stinking disease, I decided I had to make some changes.

Long story short, those changes led me to Paleo. Where, I might add, I'm very happy. And, to hear my blood tests tell it, healthier too. My hands don't swell and hurt like they did. I don't hobble on sore feet like a little old lady through my office parking garage. I just, in general, feel a lot better.

I'm learning things all the time about this new way of eating. What works, what doesn't. And more importantly, why. This blog, I hope, will be a place where I can share some of that info - and ideally learn from others, too.

If you've found this blog, welcome. I hope to make reading worth your while.


No comments:

Post a Comment